Gardening on prescription
Gardening on Prescription
There is an increasing body of evidence that regular gardening is good for your mental and physical health. Not only can gardening lower stress levels, but can enable people to overcome anxiety and loneliness and regain their confidence and self-esteem. This is something we’ve certainly learnt at Mayfields, which is why we run our GP referral scheme.
Who it’s for:
- People experiencing mild to moderate mental health problems such as depression, anxiety, PTSD or OCD, phobias or agoraphobia.
- You must be registered with a GP surgery in Southampton.
What you do:
- Participate in a weekly gardening course at Mayfield Nurseries.
- Each week has a theme to the session such as propogation techniques or planting a vegetable garden.
- The course has ten sessions.
- By the end of the course participants have a good overall knowledge of gardening, feel part of our community and have learnt useful skills.
It’s completely free to attend and just requires a referral from your GP. Ask your GP to complete the referral part of this information leaflet and then return it to Mayfield Nurseries.
Please contact us for more details about Gardening on Prescription.